YOUR Career Options
Sign Up For Certifications
Scheduled Symposiums
View Training Classes
Certifications Available
Cert. Details & Objectives
GI Bill Information
Amount VA will pay
From the VA web site
What does MCFBD Mean?
Staff and Faculty
Military Hospitality Alliance
Testimonials of Success
Who is Certified & Photos
Partners in Education
Ed-ucation Edge Issues
Send us a question
EAOY 2016

Licensing & Certification
Note that you can click on many links by hovering over the text.
Note also that you have 15 years from when you got out of the military to use these benefits.

You can receive reimbursement for licensing and certification tests you take on or after March 1, 2001. (MGIB-AD, VEAP & DEA beneficiaries only.) Effective January 6, 2006 MGIB-SR & REAP participants became eligible for this program. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. There is no limit to the number of test you may take, or number of times you may take the same test. However, your entitlement is charged proportionate to the cost of the test compared to your full-time monthly payment rate. For recipients of the Post-9/11 GI Bill you are limited to reimbursement for only 1 test, but your GI Bill entitlement is not charged. 

(As of 8/1/2011 there is again no limit to the number of tests you can take, GI Bill 2.0 fixed that). VA can pay only for the cost of the tests, up to $2,000.00, and not other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification.  VA will pay for tests even if failed. Organizations providing tests can obtain a supply of a VA Licensing and Certification Pamphlet explaining this benefit. Payment is issued after you submit proof of payment, etc. to the VA.

Licensing and Certification Tests Search for approved tests. NOTE: If the test is not listed it doesn't mean that it is not a valid test, it only means that we have not approved it yet. If you have never filed an application for education benefits, you need to submit an application for benefits along with your request for payment for a test or tests. If you are a veteran or are on active duty, download VA Form 22-1990. If you are an eligible child or spouse, download VA Form 22-5490.

Mail your application form together with your test information shown below to the VA office listed below for your state.  (Click here to go to that information). Include the test information in the Remarks section of the form. Send us a copy of your test results with a note requesting reimbursement.

Please include:
*Your name and social security number
*The name of the test or certification you took and the date you took it ·      
*Name and address of the organization issuing the license or certificate (not necessarily the organization that administered the test) ·      
*Cost of the test NOTE: Registration fees, preparation guides, processing fees, etc. will not be reimbursed. ·   *The following statement: "I authorize release of my test information to VA."  

The source of this information is: