YOUR Career Options
Sign Up For Certifications
Scheduled Symposiums
View Training Classes
Certifications Available
Cert. Details & Objectives
GI Bill Information
Amount VA will pay
From the VA web site
What does MCFBD Mean?
Staff and Faculty
Military Hospitality Alliance
Testimonials of Success
Who is Certified & Photos
Partners in Education
Ed-ucation Edge Issues
Send us a question
EAOY 2016

You may prefer to view the Word Document with this information

VA Form 22-1990 to ACTIVATE your GI Bill

VA Form 22-0803 to SUBMIT the class for reimbursement

All GFI Certifications have been approved by the VA.  Sign up for MCFBD for $1999 and that covers all the certifications, paid via the VA.

How to ACTIVATE and then USE your GI Bill.
Note you must have served 2 years before you can use the GI Bill.

First you have some decisions to make:
* Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill?
The best advice is to contact the VA, but this is what I believe to be true. You can use the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill. There are advantages to each, but the biggest reason to use the Post 9/11 seems to be that you can use it up to 15 years after you separate from the service (Montgomery is 10 years). It doesn’t matter when you start using the benefits, the clock starts ticking when you LEAVE the service.

* Use it yourself or give to family?
I am told by a Navy Career Counselor that, if you have family to give it to, you should transfer at least 1% to the family member(s) because you must make that selection while on active duty, and once you get in to that process, you can swap it back and forth, even after you leave the service. Once you leave, you can no longer do that. I’m not the expert, but that’s what I’m told.

* Use it now or save it for after you get out?

Having used the GI Bill to earn my Master’s Degree while still on active duty, I walked the talk. I suggest using it when you have an opportunity, so that when you get out you can get a JOB. If you are the 1 in 16 people who uses their total entitlement, then some years down the road you will have to spend THEN what you used up NOW. And let’s hope the certifications will help you get a promotion or pay raise so you made much more than what you used for this class. You will use four percent (4%) or about 2 months, of your eligibility to do all 9 certifications for your MCFBD.

BEFORE YOU TAKE THE TEST (or start the class) submit VA Form 2900:
Click on this link to go to the VA web site and complete the VONAPP application. http://www.gibill.va.gov/apply-for-benefits/application/

Form HintDO NOT fill out Block 10B because you are doing a certification (it tells you that, just read what it says). You will need your bank account and transit number for that form.

Notification – The VA will send you an email once your application has been received electronically. Send that to ed@ehmanley.com so that when the class is over we will hand you the certificates. Then the VA sends you a letter saying you are eligible to use the GI Bill.ONCE YOU HAVE TAKEN AND PASSED (OR FAILED) THE EXAM(S):We will provide you with a special VA receipt which shows the required information. You will submit VA Form 22-0803 along with that receipt, either electronically or via fax.

In 2-8 weeks the VA will deposit the funds into your bank account.

You can fax the form
and the receipt to 918-781-7863.
You need to complete blocks 1 through 6B.
For 6C most will select Chapter 33, which is the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Chapter 30 is selected for those using the Montgomery GI Bill.
In block 7 the name of the test is Master Certified Food and Beverage Director (MCFBD). (It doesn’t seem to fit so on the example I abbreviated the name.
NOTE – If you didn’t take the MCFBD test, then you would list each individual test that you took. MCFBD covers all of the tests.
In block 8 the name and address is:
Global Foodservice InstituteP. O. Box 901Brooks Hall 213Morrisville, NY 13408
In block 9 list the date you took the MCFBD examination, that was the last day of the Symposium and it is noted on the receipt I provided.
In block 10 the cost for MCFBD is $1,999.00.

Sign and date the VA Form and submit with the receipt I gave you (you can scan and attach the receipt if submitting electronically).

If the rep. can’t find the certification(s):Go to http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchLCCriteria.do 
Then under LAC Category Type select Certifications.
Then click on NYThen find Master Certified Food and Beverage Director on the list.